Monday, October 30, 2006

Three Reasons my New Job Rocks

A little background:

Starting when I dropped out of college I worked at an inboundcal center for two years, only to be fired on thanksgiving because they accused me of drinking on the clock, which I did not do. It was fine to leave because I hated the job and was intending to quit in January. The shitty thing was that I was fired and have to disclose that information at every new job I apply for. Since it's my only real experience, I have a hard time glossing it over.

After that, i worked as a telemarketer. Enough said, I believe.

I have been working at a temp agency since May, and I have been dismissed from both of my last two assigments. The first for my imperfect driving record, the second for throwing a phone book at a patient. I don't feel like explaining the injustice here, but I will because the guy hadn't taken his Xanax for two weeks and seemed to mistake my taking out a phonebook to look up a number as my throwing it at him.

I get accused of all kinds of shit, and apparently I look like the kind of person who throws phone books at the mentally disabled while sloshed at work.

I just got a new job in a call center (inbound, thank god) just down the street from my house. There are maybe ten reps here, only two team leaders. The company sells hundreds of thousands of downloadable products eery day and we ten handle all the customer support. That said, let me say what I adore this place and I'll work here 'til I retire or move away, if I am so lucky.

1. The company subsdizes the vending machines. What I mean by that is, the powers that be think 75 cents is a ridiculous price to pay for a can of soda, so they pay extra to the vending machine company to have the price for the employees lowered to only 50 cents. The company buys a third of my customary lunch soda for me. Beautiful.

2. Tomorrow we are turning off the phones in the busiest part of the day to have a judged costume contest with all of the phone reps, meaning no one will have to watch the phones or miss out on the fun. There are prizes and games, and we all get paid to sit around and drink coffee and vote for the greatest halloween costume for an hour, while the customers wait. Why? Because it builds morale.

3. Wednesday is the big BSU game. This time, we get off an hour and a half early (instead of taking morning time) and get paid to hang out and tailgate for BSU. And it's real tailgatingwith a grill and free beer and also prizes for most spirit. Basically, if I dress up, I get something rad, just for wearing blue tomorrow. And I get something rad anyway, which is being paid to drink free beer out in front of the company where I work with great people who are currently grilling me a hot dog. Hell Yeah.

Of course I could list a million reasons why this company is great, mostly that I like the work and it likes me and the people I work with are not stuck up prigs or mental patients. But these are favorite three things of today. I'm looking forward to the rest of the week. And here's hoping I'll still be hung over when I pick up that first during work beer on Wednesday. That'd more than make my Halloween.

If you'll excuse me, I have to go get paid to smokea cigarette for tewenty minutes and drink my Mountain Dew, purchased at 33% off.

2 comments:

K-La-La said...

Haha, I think your closing line ought to be in a movie. That makes me happy. :-)

SamSam said...

I got fired. Sorta. Now I pay full price for soda at another call center. Damn.